What follows are the proposed grappling rules for Under the Dying Sun, Mark II:
- The grapple attempt is made as a Fist attack vs. AC1. The Grappler must drop items held, such as weapons and shield.
- If the attack misses, then the target gets free, return attack. If the attack hits, then target gets STR Throw to escape.
- If STR Throw fails, target subject to Small Weapon damage (2D, take the lowest) and can take no further action until he escapes.
- Grappler can do one of the below on subsequent rounds:
- Squeeze for Small Weapon Damage
- Trip and throw down
- Exceptional STR (10+) to lift whole body and throw (within reasonable limits of relative size etc.)
Explanations: I don't want to go with the opposed DEX rolls idea. Nothing else uses opposed rolls, plus this option favours Thieves in the long run if you construe their class-based modifier to DEX as applying. I want this to be a straight-out combat maneuver, albeit one with unique aspects.
Could the target get a DEX Save instead of STR? Yeah, sure; either could apply. But I don't like like rules of the "take the higher of two stats" variety so I'm picking one and I'm going with the STR.
Unless I change my mind.